Burundi, one of the world’s poorest nations, is struggling to emerge from a 12-year, ethnic-based civil war.
Since independence in 1962 it has been plagued by tension between the usually-dominant Tutsi minority and the Hutu majority.
The ethnic violence sparked off in 1994 made Burundi the scene of one of Africa’s most intractable conflicts.
The Beautiful Brrundi You Have to Visit to Appreciate
- Republic of Burundi
- Capital: Bujumbura
- 10.4m population – similar to Belgium
- 27,816 sq km area – similar to Haiti
- UN, World Bank, CIA World Factbo
- 50 years life expectancy for men
- 50 years life expectancy for women
- $900 GDP per capita – similar to Liberia